Thursday, July 26, 2012

New Life.

Where I have lived for the last two years with my fiancee in Southwick Ma has been a farm in some way dating back to the 1860s. Back then it was a tobacco farm of 35 acres. It was also a chicken farm with hayfields at a later time. Slowly over the last couple years I have been learning more and more. We have been returning to our farm roots. This year I turned some broken down animal pens into a chicken coop and garden. I have herbs, broccoli,cauliflower,peas,beats,tomatoes and raspberries over there. I also use the chicken coop for very old chickens to save them from being henpecked to death. Like a retirement home. It was also used for a temporary home for some young chicks just starting out. This year in the large garden I planted Popcorn,and Sunflowers which I refer to as elephant ears or big elephants due to their large leaves. Together , we planted some different squashes and melons,peppers,beans,brussel sprouts,basil,lima beans,eggplant,cabbage, broccoli,cucumbers and more. I use an old fashioned high wheel cultivator for the tilling. Not only that but we are to be married on August 4th. It is truely a wonderful time in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment